Travel advisory for adjustment of status applicants

Washington DC, October 27– The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a travel advisory that individuals who applied for an adjustment of status to permanent resident (I-485) or for asylum (I-589) must obtain an Advance Parole before traveling abroad. Advance Parole gives individuals permission to reenter the United States after traveling out of the country. Advance Parole can be obtained by filing Form I-131, which will soon be available at
The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee strongly urges all individuals who fall in the above-mentioned category to obtain advance parole in order to avoid denials of applications or reentry into the United States.  ADC also recommends that all people with pending applications for a change of status consult an immigration attorney.
Individuals may apply at a local USCIS District Office or Service Centers, and processing may take anywhere from 90-150 days depending on the District. Please be sure to take this application time into consideration before taking steps to leave the United States.


If you have filed?
· An application for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident (I-485)
· An asylum application (I-589)
Then you must obtain Advance Parole by filing I-131. You can do so
· Online at (Application will be available soon)
· At a local USCIS District Office or service Center.
Questions? Contact?
· An immigration attorney in your area
· USCIS National Customer Service Center 1800 375 5283
· The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee 202 244 2990
For the US Citizenship and Immigration Services Press Release, go to >>

Scroll to Top